Weekly Well-Being Tips
Here is this week’s installment of tips and helpful links about taking care of your mental health and well-being.
Illinois Department of Human Services launched a free emotional support text line for Illinoisans experiencing stress related to COVID-19: Call4Calm. This is a source of support. If you want to speak to a counselor, text TALK to 552020, or HABLAR for Spanish speakers.
Another Hotline, The Disaster Distress Helpline, 1-800-985-5990, is a 24/7, 365-day-a-year, national hotline dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. This toll-free, multilingual, and confidential crisis support service is available to all residents in the United States and its territories. Stress, anxiety, and other depression-like symptoms are common reactions after a disaster. Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor.
Tips to Improve Sleeping During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Set your schedule and routine (wake-up and bedtime).
- Reserve your bed for sleep (avoid working-from-bed and bringing a laptop into bed)..
- Spend time in natural lighting (outdoors or with windows and blinds open).
- Reduce screen time (phones, tablets, computers).
- Avoid long naps or naps later in the day.
- Stay active.
- Stay in touch with friends and family while maintaining social distancing.
- Utilize relaxation techniques (deep breathing, stretching, yoga, mindfulness meditation, calming music, and quiet reading).
- Maintain a healthy diet.